Thursday 15 November 2018

How to start running

A couple of people have asked me (in whispered voices from under the shade of dark alleyways, well out of earshot of anyone else) how they could get into running as well. I haven't thought of running as a strange, confusing hobby since first stepping out into the bright May sunshine six months ago, so in this post, I want to talk about how you too can learn to lace up your trainers and start pounding the tarmac - or the treadmill. Where and how you train is up to you!


And you don't have to run alone, either!
It might sound weird, but the best way to get into running is simply to get out there and go. Don't make a big deal out of it - don't tell yourself that you'll start on Monday or something similar, because that will make it 'feel' like a bigger, more daunting task than it really is. Telling yourself you'll do it eventually is one way to ensure that you never get around to it.


An even better way to begin is to talk more short walks in the day. Instead of taking that quick five minute drive to the shops and back, why not walk there instead? You'll get twenty to thirty minutes of good, active movement and slowly build up your body's tolerance for exercise and exertion.


If you have an hour-long lunch break while at work, take a short stroll. I walk two laps of the estate every lunchtime. It's easy, gentle, and helps me to keep working toward my fitness goals (as vague and constantly-shifting as they are...) Plus, if you're one of the many people who wear fitness trackers and always strive to walk ten thousand steps in a day, forty minutes of walking will see you reach at least half of that. You can't lose. Walking is a good way to start. Plus, it'll help your legs prepare for the real exercise later on.


While you don't need any special equipment to start walking (besides something on your feet), you might want to consider investing in some decent shoes if repetitive running is the end goal. I'd recommend a pair of actual running shoes with good, thick soles and plenty of padding in the heel. Yes, they can be a little more expensive than regular trainers, but believe me, your feet will thank you!


Don't rush out and buy loads of expensive gear before you've started running. Start with good footwear and build up from there. You'll figure out what you need and what suits your style of running. I run with a good shirt (to avoid the cursed nipple chafe), loose shorts with zip-up pockets, sweat bands, and a bottle of water. Sometimes I wear a phone strap on my arm, it depends on which pair of earphones I'm wearing. But I assembled all this slowly, over time, after deciding what helped me and what didn't.


In order to begin running, I used a simple phone app, available for free on any phone store, Couch to 5K:

Just search in the store page
I've mentioned this one before a few times (and still haven't received any royalties, hint, hint) but it really is as good and simple as it seems. It's simple to use and user-friendly and definitely helped encourage me to improve my cardio stamina. In just nine weeks, I went from couch potato to running thirty straight minutes. Now I'm running for almost two hours.


If these pointers were useful, please let me know! Running is one of those challenges that seems really daunting, until you give it a try for yourself. After the first week, you'll be amazed at your progress, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment