Friday 9 November 2018

All aboard the dreadmill

I've had the chance to log a couple of runs on a treadmill now and I feel there's enough to warrant talking about the major differences between training at the gym and training outside. Plus, I forgot to put up a post yesterday and need to make up for that (sorry). Can't be helped - it was my day off and there was a list of things to do that was longer than my arm. But I managed my first run of the week!


The biggest difference between treadmill and outdoor running is that the treadmill is easier. A lot easier. It moves by itself, unlike the road, keeping you at a pretty consistent pace. In order to simulate the road a little better, I set the incline up a notch or two, just to add more difficulty.


Another thing I've noticed is that it's a hell of a lot warmer in the gym. Outside, in the current weather, I'm able to hit double figures on a single water bottle. In the gym, I'm dripping with sweat like it's the middle of summer all over again. There's a fan on the machine designed to blow cold air into your face, but it only aims as high as your chest and is about as powerful as someone huffing vaguely toward you.


I've spoken about this before, but it's still true - running on a treadmill is so bloody boring compared to being out on the road. Staring at a wall is the most mind-numbing activity imaginable. Your brain wanders all over the place and you end up not really concentrating on what you're doing - not in the good way, either. How many times have I almost tripped over my own feet on the treadmill? Too many damn times. Sure, there are a few TVs playing music videos, but the songs are atrocious (modern pop/ dance anyone? Anyone?) and I'm fairly certain the music playing over the speakers is entirely different to the one displayed onscreen.


Almost seven miles in just over an hours is still pretty good, right?
And the thing I hate the most about the treadmill is that you can only run for one freaking hour at a time. After that, you get a five minute 'cool down', before the machine turns itself off for thirty seconds. This is so bloody irritating. It totally throws me off my stride - figuratively and literally. After you've been brought to a screeching halt, it's so difficult to get going again and build that precious pace back up. The challenge then becomes trying to get as much distance behind you as possible within this absurd sixty five minute window. Not ideal for training.


Imagine that happening with any other piece of equipment in the gym. The dumbbells suddenly become lighter than air after ten reps. The squat bench folds up when you've 'done enough'. The personal trainers prevent you from doing any more press-ups. Whoa, there buddy! That's plenty for today, doncha think? Imagine running the marathon and buggering off after an hour because that's all you were allowed to train. Yes, I know you can start the machine up again, but after you come to a halt, there's no drive to start to back up again. It's not like coming to a halt at the road to let a car through, it's an end to the session.


It's not all bad, though. There is one thing the treadmill does really well - even better than running outdoors. Pace. On a treadmill, you set the speed and try to keep up. You can't do this on your own. Once you start to flag and slow down, that's it, you're done. It's really hard to claw that time and pace and energy back. On a treadmill, there's no choice. You keep going (well, you can lower the speed, but there's always a voice in the back of your head telling that only a wimp would do that).


Despite all these differences, there are a lot of similarities between indoor and outdoor training. You're still running. Still improving. Still using the same muscle groups. Still driving yourself onward. At the end of the day, as long as I'm running, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment