Monday 5 November 2018

Double digits!

For the first time in my life, I ran more than ten miles in one go. No slowing down, no stopping, not even a cursory faint at the end. What an amazing achievement for a lazy bugger like me. Couldn't even run a full minute five months ago, now I'm half freaking way to being as trained as possible for the biggest and most recognisable marathon in England.






It was a good journey. Started out cold, but after one mile I couldn't even feel the chill. My running tights were perfect for the single-digit evening weather. My feet started to go numb around the four mile mark, sending strange little pins-and-needles ripples through my calves. I guess I'm not used to running on hard surfaces. Around seven miles, colours started to blur - streetlights and car taillights looked less stationary and more like comets leaving glittering trails through the dark. Everything started to hurt about eight miles in, but I never stopped. I never slowed down. The first five miles were all sub-nine minute laps: my fastest time ever. Couldn't seem to slow down, no matter how many times I tried. My legs were moving and carrying me onward.


I even had someone cheering me on. There was some kind of event taking place at the church just off the leftmost curve of the loop in the picture above, so a security guard stood on the main road, directing cars inside. After lap two, we started to shout encouragement to one another. Well, I was shouting encouragement to him. Couldn't hear his voice over my music. I assume he was spurring me on - he might have been yelling insults or threats, but his smile was friendly. That was a curious little taste of what it might be like on the day. Total strangers standing to the side and yelling at me to run faster, even though my lungs are trying to climb up my throat.


The knowledge that I hit such a lofty target kept me in good spirits all weekend. I toasted marshmallows over a fire (and was utterly disgusted at how much mess they made), safe in the knowledge that I can consume those additional calories. I earned the right to absorb a little more extra sugary goodness.


I've decided that running the work loop is probably the best way to train at the moment - easier for me to build into my days, a good length, and exactly the kind of terrain my body needs to get used to running over. As a strange side note, my 10-mile run took place on the outside loop of the business park. I learned on Saturday that the inside pavement is exactly one mile, so the next run will take place on that loop instead. Let's find out if I can run eleven miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment