Friday 26 April 2019

One last job

Less than 48 hours to go now. I've had a full and busy Friday and I'm writing this on my phone while riding the coach home through London rush hour traffic.

Something that I didn't know until about a month ago: your running pack does not get sent via post. Instead, all runners are required to make a trip to London in the days prior to the Marathon to collect the gear and enjoy an entire expo dedicated to the event. While it initially seemed like a pain in the bum to make two separate trips to London, in truth this ended up being a really great day and I'm glad to have made the journey (if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to run on Sunday...)

What greeted me at ExCel station...
The expo was great, if I'm honest. I was expecting to grab my kit and leave, but the atmosphere made it worth sticking around longer and exploring the various stalls and stages on offer. Most of it was based around sports clothing companies trying to sell stuff, along with protein/ sports bar manufacturers flogging their wares. But what made it great was the palpable sense of excitement in the air. Everyone was excited about the Marathon and the air was filled with the constant sounds of encouragement and well-wishing. Every time I said it was my first event, people would tell me how great it was going to be and not to worry about anything. That's the main thing I'm taking away from this: have fun on the day. Don't worry about anything except finishing.

Have you seen this man? Last spotted running very slowly through London.
I collected my number and finally got my start time. I will be in red zone, group seven, meaning that I will be in the last group of starters, setting off around 11am. This is a time based off my own predictions several months ago when filling out the original paperwork. I'm still aiming to complete the Marathon in less than six hours, though I reckon it will probably be closer to five. That's quicker than watching Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back!

Plenty of speakers took to the stage to assuage our worries.
The most beneficial part (for me at least) was listening to the speakers on stage giving out tricks and tips. This first chap explained how the day will unfold. There could be up to twenty minutes between my 'start time' and actually crossing the beginging marker, so dont get frustrated. The tag will only track me from post to post, so my time will be fairly accurate. Also, the times displayed around the track will begin when Andy Murray presses the buzzer to open the day, so ignore them.

A trip to head office!
After that, I dashed back through the city to Warwick Street for a special Marathon-friendly lunch at my company's head office. I got to meet the people behind the scenes who have been arranging this incredible experience for me (and may I say that you're all lovely people! Thanks for supporting and I'm really grateful that you're reading this blog, too!) There are about nine of us taking part in the Marathon this year, all with different levels of fitness and personal goals in mind. About half of us are newbies, while some have done some marathons before, but not this one. In fact, there's one chap who has run six marathons and is a few minutes off the professional athlete completion time. I asked, but he won't wear my tracker while I go to the pub. Spoil sport.

The Mall: my destiny
After that delicious, carb-heavy lunch, I had enough time to head across town and check out the finish line. The Mall is currently a work in progress. Fences are stacked in piles, while scaffolding, signage, and broadcast dishes are being erected all over the place. Horse Guards Parade, the staged meeting area, is under construction, but there are already massive spectator seating podiums set up in a loose L-shape, ready for the day. That's where I shall meet all the incredible people making the long journey to London to cheer me on. I don't know if I'll get a chance to see them while I'm running.

And that's that. Now I'm on the coach, trying to absorb everything and formulate a plan for the day. I still intend to run five and walk one. That seems to work for me. I have no shame or worries about setting a good time. I just want to enjoy the day. In fact, I'm not going to wear headphones on the day. I thought I would (and have been training religiously to Iron Maiden) but there are going to be thousands of people cheering my name on Sunday. I'll never get the chance to hear that again.

So here we go. I'm done. I'm ready. Nothing left to do but wait. One more coach ride. Two more sleeps. Then it begins. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment