Monday 22 April 2019

Let's talk about food

I've been putting off writing this entry for a while as I don't really feel qualified enough to talk about it, but now we're six days away from the Marathon, it's probably a good time to discuss my diet. Most of the information I've been following was the result of internet research and making sure many different sources agree on the same thing. It's difficult to know what to believe, especially on the internet!

Mo' money, mo' problems - Ghandi
Firstly, and most important, what to eat after a run. Don't worry about eating before - not when you're just getting started - but instead focus on trying to repair your body's damaged muscles and recover lost energy. The best thing to eat for any kind of recovery is PROTEIN. You'll see big, muscular people in the gym endlessly drinking protein shakes, and that's for a good reason - protein is essential to helping muscles repair and recover, helping them grow stronger for next time. There are dozens of different ways to get protein into your diet including, but not limited to:

-eggs
-chicken breast
-Greek yoghurt
-milk
-broccoli
-beef (the leaner, the better)
-tuna
-quinoa
-brussels sprouts
-fish
-turkey breast

Even snacking foods like almonds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts are high in protein. I personally love beef jerky, which is high in protein and delicious to boot. After a run, I like to enjoy a protein shake and a protein bar to get the right nutrients back into my system and begin the recovery process for the next run. I should warn you that protein has a very particular taste that takes a while to tolerate. The first time you eat a protein bar, it will feel like chewing a bit of old tyre.

UNLEASH THE PROTEIN
Full of sugar, but also protein.

There are dozens of different protein supplements that can increase the amount you take into your body. In addition to the shakes, I also have this special powder for making pancakes.

I only trust food presented by an anthopromorphic moose who could crush my skull with a single flex.

Once you start going for longer and longer distances, you can begin planning a light snack before a run. This is a totally different requirement - the aim is to give your muscles as much stored fuel as possible, in the form of carbohydrates. This will prevent those ungoldy aches and pains as every last bit of energy is burned from storage. If you're running up to 10K (roughly six miles), you won't need to partake in carb loading, as you're not likely to use up all the stored energy in your system. Any further than that, however, and you'll definitely need to consider advanced preparation. There are a lot of great foods that will help pile on those desperately-needed carbs:

-pasta
-rice
-oats
-bread
-potatoes

When planning a long run, I like to eat a plain bagel or two around an hour before setting off. This a great last-minute snack that provides additional fuel.

Can't go wrong with a bagel.
This is all for before and after a run, but what about during? What happens when you start to flag? I carry several energy gels with me during a lengthy run and try to have one roughly every hour or so (on my cooldown/ recovery lap). These little beauties are full of slow-release glucose and additional carbs that provide a sorely-needed extra burst of energy on the day, without leaving you feeling full and bloated.

These things are lifesavers!
After a run, I recommend getting some energy back as quickly as possible. Lying down on the sofa will only make it worse when you need to move again later. I like to drink a special mixture of amino acids that disolve in water. This big tub was purchased on Amazon and has lasted for several months now:

One scoop in a glass of water and you'll have enough energy to get through the day!

So that's what to eat. How about what not to eat? This advice is a lot smaller and simpler. Avoid greasy foods before a run - not only is it heavy and will leave you feeling lethargic, but it will give you stomach troubles pretty quickly. Take it from me - you don't want to have to ditch the run because you need the toilet. It's not pretty and it's not fun!

Other than that, avoid hot or spicy foods. I love meals with a bit of kick, but I know that they'll only cause me agony as everything jolts and sloshes in my gut.

And that's it! I've been avoiding this subject for a while because I'm not a nutritionist or a trainer. I strongly advise researching this stuff yourself instead of taking anything I say for granted, but if it helps someone out there, then great!

No comments:

Post a Comment