Wednesday 19 December 2018

Running makes my knees weak

I mean that literally. As my distances improve and my core begins to get stronger, I'm finding all new aches and pains breaking out here and there. The latest niggling ache is a dull pain in my knees that usually starts while I'm running and continues for a few hours after I've finished.

Damn, my legs don't look that good.
So what can I do to combat this? Well, firstly I can start by taking extra iron vitamins. I usually take a multivitamin tablet every morning, but it seems that I need to focus on getting some extra iron in my system, too.

In addition to this, there are plenty of knee exercises that can be done to build up the joints. There are plenty of videos on the subject, just like this one:


And there are dozens of blogs and websites with various useful pointers and exercises that I can add to my arsenal, including this rather excellent page on the NHS site with lots of different stretches for runners.

It feels like I'm still learning new information every week about how to train and look after my body. I keep walking on lunch breaks, keep squeezing 10K runs into my days, keep pushing myself further and further, but there's always something else to keep in mind. Just gotta keep telling myself it'll all be worth it next April.

No comments:

Post a Comment