Friday 6 March 2020

The final week

One more week until the 2020 Bath Half. I'm assuming the event is still going ahead as planned. At the moment, there is a lot of uncertainty about large public gatherings, thanks to a certain virus (that shall remain nameless). This year's London Marathon is in jeopardy, according to the latest information, but is still going ahead for the time being. No word on if the Bath Half will be affected.

So, how are we feeling about it? I think the three of us have a shared sensation of nervous tension. Jodie has recently hurt her back and the doctor has prescribed some strong painkillers. She may float around the course. Nikki is nervous, understandable given that she hasn't been able to train properly. The girls are planning to walk as fast as they can around the course. The time limit is four hours, so if they can manage between three and a half to four miles an hour, they will be able to complete it in time.

As for me, I'm sure I can complete the course. The only question is what condition I'll be in by the time it's over. So far, I've been fairly consistent in hitting five miles an hour in my training. The awful weather has put me off getting out and actually pounding the pavements again, which is odd considering that I never let such things hinder me last year. Maybe I'm not taking this as seriously - a stupid attitude to have, because all endurance races are intense physical and mental challenges.

Aside from that, we've got all our gear from our charity, Bath Mind. Vests, maps, trackers, and race numbers. We've been able to take a good look at the course and see what's in store for us.

Bath Half 2020!
The course is a good, flat route around the outskirts of Bath centre. We'll be making two laps of the River Avon and looping back to the start/ finish point. That sounds good, though I'm concerned about getting in people's way if they're running a lot faster than me. There will be a lot of people lapping and getting lapped. I hope we don't cause any issue for those who are attempting to set new personal bests.

I have no illusions about my own fitness right now. I'm out of shape and deeply unfit. I'm a good three stone heavier than this time last year and incapable of reaching the same pace. But I do know that I have the drive and determination to achieve my goal and get this done. There is one more week to go. There are enough days remaining to get out there and make sure I'm in the right state of mind, if not body.

My last outdoor run saw me hitting a personal goal of six miles in one hour and fifteen minutes. Quite a way off my former pace, but I was proud to have managed it, especially given how awful the weather was at the time. At this current pace, I'm probably looking about two hours and forty five minutes to get through the Bath Half.

The longest run I've completed for some time.
In the meantime, I'm going to keep pushing myself and try to make sure that I'm totally ready. I'll start carb-loading partway through next week to put plenty of fuel in my body. My legs are sure to ache after this, but that's the price I'll pay for not preparing properly.

One week to go. I'm excited. Nervous, but excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment